Pages

Homemade Spring Rolls

I love most all Asian food, particularly sushi and the like. Including... veggie spring rolls! I was inspired by Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) and Kristin (Iowa Girl Eats) who both have made their own spring rolls (as seen here and here). While they are both much more accomplished in the kitch than I am, they made it look so easy, so I decided to give it a go myself! And guess what!?!? It actually WAS easy. Even for a pathetic rookie chef like myself!

Here are the ingredients I wrangled up for my first spring roll attempt:
  • Banh Trang Spring Roll Wrappers
  • Cucumber
  • Avocado
  • Shredded Carrots
  • Romaine Leaves (not pictured)
  • Sriracha Sauce (a teeny-tiny-drop is all you need! this stuff is HOT)
  • Peanut Dipping Sauce

Everything is pretty self-explanatory. I found the spring roll wrappers on the shelves attached to my grocery store's "Sushi Station." They are much thicker and stiffer than I imagined! While I am supposed to lay out a plate with water to dip the wrappers in, I cheat take-the-easy-way-out and just run the faucet over them! Hey, it works! ;) They get soft when wet, but still durable.

Lay out a wet wrapper, place all your chosen ingredients in the center, and roll it up burrito-style! That's all it takes. :) I was not inspired enough to make homemade dipping sauce, so I found the peanut sauce (in the Asian aisle at the grocery) with the least calories and sugar and used that - delish!


Notice the glass of vino... :))) I have made them again using different veggies and some shredded chicken as well. Mine weren't near as beautiful as Averie's or Kristin's (<--- hers look restaurant or magazine-worthy, seriously), but they were just as yummy!

Have you ever made spring rolls? What do you like inside!?

No comments:

Post a Comment