Pages

Mexican Meatloaf

"How now, brown cow!??!  Mexican meatloaf!??  Is this broad crazy or what!?!?"  I know, I know, it sounds ludicrous.  And so not-healthy.  But it's not and it is (not ludicrous and is healthy).  

I hadn't eaten meatloaf in YEARS but suddenly had a craving for some ketchup-y comfort-y loaf of meat.  I knew the only way to get Hungry Hubby to eat it = add salsa and "Mexicanize" that meatloaf!  It was easy and pleased us both.  I kept the side dishes extra healthy to balance out the ground beef and fiesta cheese I added to the loaf.


What 'Yo Need:
  • Extra-Lean (I used 96/4) Ground Beef, 1 lb.
  • Shredded Cheese, 1/3 cup
  • 1 Egg
  • Taco Seasoning, 1/2 of a Packet
  • Breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup (I used Panko and it worked fine)
  • Salsa (I used medium Pace)
  • Ketchup
  • Salt & Pepper

Mix the beef, egg, cheese, taco seasoning, breadcrumbs, salsa (use about 1/4 cup), ketchup (a big squirt) and a teensy bit of salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.

Keep mixing 'til it's fully incorporated.

Form the lovely blob into a loafish-shape atop a foil-lined baking pan.
Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

Add a salsa covering (I used ketchup on my side on the left, love me some ketchup!) and bake for 10-15 more minutes.

Make sure to get rid of all the grease around the loaf... ewwww.  Glad that's not IN the loaf!



I served this with some easy, healthy sides.  
Green Giant Roasted Potatoes with Garlic & Herb Sauce...

And Valley Fresh Steamers Healthy Colors Veggie Blend.

Hungry Hubby's Plate:

Healthy Honey's Plate:

This was actually quite tasty, but since I rarely have a hankering for meatloaf, it will probably be a year before I make it again. 
 Do you eat meatloaf?  Or does it remind you of cafeteria horror stories!?

No comments:

Post a Comment