Pages

Book Review!

I'm a total self-proclaimed bookworm. I LOVE to read. I typically read about a book a week, depending on how "into it" I get. I read every night in bed, and the book I'm reading now is causing me to sport major bags under my eyes! I can't put it down! I'm totally obsessed with this book:



House Rules by Jodi Picoult


The gist: HOUSE RULES is about Jacob Hunt, a teenage boy with Asperger’s Syndrome. He’s hopeless at reading social cues or expressing himself well to others, and like many kids with AS, Jacob has a special focus on one subject – in his case, forensic analysis. He’s always showing up at crime scenes, thanks to the police scanner he keeps in his room, and telling the cops what they need to do…and he’s usually right. But then one day his tutor is found dead, and the police come to question him. All of the hallmark behaviors of Asperger’s – not looking someone in the eye, stimulatory tics and twitches, inappropriate affect – can look a heck of a lot like guilt to law enforcement personnel -- and suddenly, Jacob finds himself accused of murder. HOUSE RULES looks at what it means to be different in our society, how autism affects a family, and how our legal system works well for people who communicate a certain way – but lousy for those who don’t.
(Synopsis taken from the author's website.)

While I tend to gravitate towards more classic chick lit (I consider it my little escape from reality), this book was a Christmas gift from my parents, and they were spot-on. The book flip-flops back and forth between the perspectives of 5 characters, which truly showcases Jodi's talent. Every character has such a distinct voice. It is technically a mystery, but its focus is on the emotional/social/mental battles going on within and between the characters.

I have taught a student with Asperger's Syndrome, so this book is especially interesting to me. Even if you are not a teacher, I really think you will love it: GET THIS BOOK! Click here to read more about it.

Have you read any good books lately!?

No comments:

Post a Comment